Friday, May 05, 2006

Two Fathers

The other night Ben and I finished reading through the Bible (kids version) for the first time. True, for the last month or so he has been more interested in tearing the pages and eating them. Does he get any of it? I don't know, probably not, but God is gracious. But the biggest victory we won was setting a routine whereby it's now part of MY day to sit and read the Bible with him and talk about it. Being a father is also fathering Ben in the gospel. Something I was reminded of this week by Paul in 1 Cor Ch 4:

"Even though you have ten thousand guadians in Christ, you do not haver many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your Father in the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me."

I'm a double Father.
I made Him, so he is mine.
I also want to be his gospel father too, which means reminding myself that God made him, so he is His.

Scott


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a very cool and very encouraging perspective Scott!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

I try with The Boy, but cos hes so figetty, I give up. Maybe I ought to stop using the ESV?

:)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Mr Tiedt said...

That's awesome Scott... so encouraging to read. And I want to spend some time now pondering the line "I also want to be his gospel father too, which means reminding myself that God made him, so he is His."

*ponders*

7:34 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

J-man - just use a bible that is ok with being ripped up and eaten

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home